Lesly Mejia: Research Proposal

My research essay will be focused on the rates of type 2 diabetes in the Bronx for the last 10 years. I am interested in this topic and  feel like its important because I actually grew around family members who have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and I feel like having diabetes is actually a very common disease now a days. I have also noticed that most of the people i’ve seen with diabetes are hispanic people. One of the questions that I would like to learn about is whether the Bronx has one of the highest rates of diabetes and I would also like to know what ethnicities and ages in New York have the highest rates ? If so, why does the Bronx have the highest rates ? What contributes to the fact that these rates are the highest of all boroughs. The Bronx is known as one of the poorest boroughs of New York and based of prior knowledge that I have, some people, including myself actually, consider fresh healthy food to be more expensive than fast food, I believe this could also be a possible reason that contributes to these rates. Is there a reason why the cost of healthy food is more expensive than the cost of fast food? While doing my research I would like to find out how can we make these rates lower ? In my map, I would like to include what certain parts of New York have the highest rates of type 2 diabetes and I would like to include the prevalence of diabetes by race/ethnicity.